Home » Uncategorized » Cycling from the Dutch Oven Parking Lot in Cobourg – Friday, April 20

Cycling from the Dutch Oven Parking Lot in Cobourg – Friday, April 20

Jen P. is hoping that second time is a charm. And as of today, the weather is looking promising for Friday. Here’s her invitation, repeated from two Fridays ago:

The ride will start at 5:30 PM in the free parking lot behind Dutch Oven, also across from the outdoor rink off Albert Street (northeast of LCBO).

Dinner reservations are for 7:30 at The Oasis under Poole. We are doing the Spring Fling route.
Looking forward to seeing you all out!!

Choose from three route options: 31, 41 or 45 kilometres. Brian has created a handy map below to help you find your way to the start location.

1. jenp83 says:

I hope to do the 45 km route and am really hoping for decent weather. Riding on the trainer just is no fun and seeing everyone is just so nice. Fingers crossed for a nice evening!

I plan to ride Jen but won’t be going to the Oasis. Weather looks pretty good…relatively, as Brian H. would say.

3. Brenda and Wayne says:

Wayne will be there for the ride🚲

4. Barbara Spencer says:

We may ride if the weather permits. Probably stay for dinner.

5. Sue Pott says:

I don’t have to babysit now so will be able to go. See you Friday. Looks nice. Won’t stay for the meal though.

• kschroeder1 says:

Just to clarify Sue, neither Brian nor I are great poets…at least I know I’m not but I do know how to use Google…Brian used Mathilde Blind and I used T.S. Elliot.
      For your edification, here is the rest of Blind’s April poem:

The April sun, the April sun,
      Glints through the rain in fitful splendour,
      And in grey shaw and woodland dun
      The little leaves spring forth and tender
      Their infant hands, yet weak and slender,
      For warmth towards the April sun,
      One after one.

And between shower and shine hath birth
      The rainbow’s evanescent glory;
      Heaven’s light that breaks on mists of earth!
      Frail symbol of our human story,
      It flowers through showers where, looming hoary,
      The rain-clouds flash with April mirth,
      Like Life on earth.

Interestingly, I used some of Blind’s poetry when I was teaching many moons ago, which is why it looked familiar.

What time are you planning for supper Jen? I’m not cycling but thinking of hiking around Cobourg, perhaps a little window shopping 🙂 then joining folks for supper. At this moment in time Richard hasn’t made a decision as to whether he’s riding or hiking.

7. jenp83 says:

The dinner reservation is for 7:30 pm if you just want to come join us for dinner

Okay it’s time to put the bike rack on the car……I plan to ride, Andy is a maybe……will be a shorter one pour moi as first time out! Will, of course, eat after with the group. Barb, hoping you might do a shorter ride too?? No pressure tho’ ha ha.

• Barbara Spencer says:

We have been demolishing our fireplace with sledge hammers all day then cleaning up the layer of dust over the whole house. We could likely not turn a pedal but will come for dinner and hope we don’t fall into our plates.

9. twocamels says:

Pete and Ruth will ride and dine.

I am riding, but not dining, ce soir.

Just a “heads up” about next week’s “Friday Ride” which will actually take place on Saturday – go figure! We leave from the Bewdley Arena at 10:30 AM, ride the (new last year) Two Lakes route and afterwards enjoy Rhino’s fine dining.

11. TJ Adams says:

I will be there for the ride and meal

12. jenp83 says:

It’s looking like a great day for a ride!! The sun is out and the temperatures are rising. I will confirm numbers for dinner at the beginning of ride. See you all behind the Dutch Oven. Will be awesome!!

Liked by 1 person

• bhedney says:

Jen: it WAS awesome – just as you predicted! Thank you so much for organising this Friday evening extravaganza for us. It was a great evening for a ride, and the route you chose wasn’t even that hilly (unless you were foolish enough to take on the Bickle Hill detour!). It was a testament to you that so many Freewheelers joined in the fun.

Liked by 1 person

13. Wilfried Elzner says:

I will be riding and not eating