Happy New Year to members and followers of the Ganaraska Freewheelers Cycling Club.
On behalf of our sister club, the Northumberland Hills Cycling Club (NHCC), Randy and Anita invite GFW members to attend two special events coming up soon!
Space is limited. Please confirm your attendance by sending an email to email@example.com or commenting on the NHCC posting provided in the links below.
Additional details about both events are provided in the links below – both evenings start at 6:30 and a $5 donation is suggested. The first event is tomorrow, so sign up NOW! At the January 27 event, the spotlight will be on our very own Liz and Bob and their fabulous summer cycling adventure. So sign up soon.
This email has five reminders for our upcoming AGM that will be hosted this Saturday at the home of Barb & John in Cobourg commencing at 5:00 p.m.
- If you plan to be there, please confirm by posting a comment. Remember you are welcome to bring your spouse or significant other, however do let Barb know so that she can order sufficient food. Recall as well that all those attending will pay $10 to cover the cost of food.
- If you participate in any pre-AGM activity and need to change, you’re welcome to do so at Barb & John’s.
- Take a half hour and read a few important documents, all of which you can link to from the item:
- Attached agenda for the AGM
- Minutes from 2018 AGM
- Safety reminder email sent to members in late September 2019
- Summary notes from a meeting with the insurance company in October 2019
- We will be collecting your member form and waiver for 2020. You can download and complete the form in advance, making sure to use the 2020 form. Alternatively, we will have blank copies available that you can complete at the AGM. The fee has not changed from last year: $50 for members; $25 for social members. Cash or cheque are accepted.
- If you would like to contribute photos for this year’s cycling season, please send Ruth an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. She will either post your pictures on your behalf to the Gmail photo account or if you prefer, share with you a temporary password to the Gmail photo account so that you can add them yourself.
Looking forward the seeing everyone for one last GFW gathering before the deep freeze!
Lilianne and Barry are hosting the Tuesday October 29th ride, starting from Port Hope at 10 am.
Meet at Kingsfield park, on Victoria Street at Sullivan. The route map is Pretty and Easy, with options of 51 and 31 kilometres.
Lunch will be at Nookies Soul Kitchen, on Ontario Street across from the LCBO. Hope for sun, no wind or rain.
Brian and Jacquie are hosting our last weekend ride of the season. Their invitation is below.
Meet at Jacquie & Brian’s house at 2pm. It will be Brian’s Favourite ride of about 50km with possible short cuts.
We have included a short section of quite rideable dirt road between StationRoad & Hwy 2 at Shelter Valley Road, for a change of pace and a return to our touring roots. Route maps will be available.
This will be followed by our traditional potluck supper at around 5pm. Bring your own plates, cutlery & drinks. Don’t forget your LIGHTS, it can get quite dark on a dull day at this time of year. See you Saturday!
Harold W. is our host for Tuesday’s ride starting at 10:00 am from the Mill in Cobourg.
We will follow the Northumberland Hills route with 60/48/35 km options. Please print your map.
Join us for our second last Tuesday ride of the season!
Ruth and Pete are hosting Sunday’s ride. Alas, we made a valiant but unsuccessful attempt to create a safe route from Southpond Farms to the Buddhist temple North of Bethany. We had to conclude (as Doug’s grimace suggsted at Katherine’s on Friday) that it was not possible.
Instead, we’re hosting from our home a ride starting at 10 am with three hilly options (34, 39 and 44 km), all of which will offer views of splendid fall colours. We’ll provide maps – but essentially the route takes you south as far as Concession Road 4 (long route), north to Thertell and Oakhill, then back south to our place from Dean’s Hill and Mill Street. If you need more than 44 km, we can suggest add-ons.
Can’t ride? Bring your spouse and join us anyway for a potluck afterwards – likely @ 1. We’ll have two chili options (beef and turkey/mango) and whatever you bring by way of appetizer, salad or dessert.
Weather looks promising – 16 high and mostly sunny!
We’ve done it again and although it is almost over, this has been another outstanding cycling season with excellent weather, our reliable membership stepping up to host regular rides and more than a few creative and amazing events. We’ll wrap it up for 2019 with our AGM, a little bit of business and then a feast and gathering among good friends to celebrate.
- Date: Saturday November 9th
- Time: 5:00 p.m.
- Location: Barb and John’s
- Dinner to be catered: $10/person, bring your own dishes, cutlery, beverage (and spouses if they’d like to join us!)
Membership and Waiver Forms
Membership and waiver forms for the 2020 season will be available for you to complete. If you prefer, print your own updated forms from our member section.
Nominations for Executive Positions
There is one executive position to be filled for next season:
2) Treasurer (2-year term)
Any club member may apply for this position, duties of which are outlined in the By-Laws. However, you are required to have another club member nominate you and another member second the nomination.
If you wish to be considered for this position, please send a confidential email to the club executive at email@example.com to express your interest on or before Thursday October 30, 2019. Please include the names of your nominator and seconder.
As this has been such a wonderful incident free season, we do not have a great deal of business to conduct at this AGM. We will send out an agenda closer to the date. If you have items you would like to propose we add, please email the executive by Thursday, October 30 at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A couple of things to consider and be ready to act upon are:
- Safety Reminder Email. Please re-read the safety reminder email sent on September 26/19.
- Incorporation – Pros & Cons. One of the things we are going to ask you to consider is whether or not we want or need to incorporate. We will do a brief recap of the pros and cons and costs of the decision and get a general consensus on whether to pursue incorporation further.
- Website Documents. It is always a good idea prior to the AGM to have a look at the website. The Risk Management, Being a Freewheeler, Q&A are on the general webpages. By-Laws can all be found in the Insurance Policy & Membership Forms section. Minutes of the 2018 AGM are behind our password -protected member page.
Looking forward to celebrating a wonderful 2019 cycling season with you.